_

_

Monday, April 29, 2013

2013: Operation Clean Slate

2013 is just flying by! I can't believe that it's going to be MAY in just a couple of days. The start of 2013 was all about wiping the slate clean and getting a fresh start for me. Not that I'm complaining about 2012 and the things that I did accomplish last year, but to be perfectly honest, there were some tough times and bumps in the road from the latter half of 2011 through until last year.

As the old saying goes "when one door closes, another one often opens", and that seems to have rung true for me this year so far. After learning that my MCAT scores officially expired last year, it means that med school is off the table for the immediate future and until I write them again. On the bright side, I got a new job in late February as the research coordinator for a stroke study at the Toronto Rehab Institute (TRI) shortly after I learned of this news. And then I was given an offer of admission to the PhD program that I applied for in early February. I told my bosses at work of this development and asked for their opinions and advice, and after just two weeks on the job, they counter-offered with a job promotion in more of a management position for which I had zero prior experience. I guess they had some faith in me and were willing to take a giant leap, so I have taken on the new position of Program Research Coordinator of the University Health Network's Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation Program. Yup-I guess it's about time that I put on those "big girl" pants and stumble way out of my comfort zone. It's been challenging so far, but I do love a good challenge.

Training has been going quite well, despite having a foot injury at the moment and being side-lined from running. It has given me the opportunity to focus on the bike for the first time this year, and I'm quite pleased with where my bike fitness is at given the lack of focus on it over the winter months. I'm happy to report that I have some new members in support of Team Lee with respect to my injury treatment and overall maintenance and care. I welcome back Dr. Sean Foudy, former track and field superstar (under Charlie Francis) and BC Lions Grey Cup Champion as my chiropractor, and I welcome for the 1st time, George Amzu, former Romanian Professional Rugby player, as my sports massage/athletic therapist. I am quite lucky to be in such good hands!

Another exciting development is that I'll be racing my first ever World Cup Triathlon race in Edmonton this coming June! It was certainly a goal of mine over the next couple of years, so for it to be a reality in just 2 months time is pretty awesome. Even more awesome is my training buddy extraordinaire, John Selles, who has offered to sponsor my trip to this event. It's amazing to have so much support and to have so many people believe in me and my journey, wherever it ends up taking me.

Here is to a great season and year ahead! First up on the roster is the 5150 New Orleans Triathlon at the end of May:)

No comments:

Post a Comment